The Spirit of Expectation

One of the traditions I’ve grown to love since living in Bonny Doon is the season of Advent. Our little church there would have a different family light a candle each Sunday and share the meaning of each week’s candle: joy, peace, love and hope.   I look forward to returning to Bonny Doon later this month and sharing this tradition with the Bonny Doon Church family.

The past few years, I've also discovered the joy of counting  down the days until Christmas via Advent calendars.  A friend in my Bonny Stitchers quilt group sewed advent calendars for girls who had started new families.   When I discovered chocolate Advent calendars I was overjoyed.  I began sending my great nieces and nephews chocolate Advent calendars. Last night, my new friend in Reno, Pauline, gave me my very own chocolate Advent calendar, a treat I wasn't allowing myself.



The Advent calendar countdown until Christmas represents the expectation of Christmas morning when we will open presents gathered under the Christmas tree.  Many will watch their favorite Christmas movies as days pass leading up to Christmas and read finally read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve.

Several years ago, I learned  of another tradition that many families celebrate.  The tradition of putting Jesse Tree ornaments on their tree for every day of Advent.   Each day, the family would read a story from the Bible associated with the Christmas tree ornament.  I found it odd that so many of the stories didn't appear to have any connection to the traditional story of Christmas I'd heard growing up, the story of Mary giving birth birth to baby Jesus in a manger. I came to realize that The Jesse Tree views the whole Bible as leading to the birth of Christ.  Irregardless of your faith background, this story is an epic story with many plot changes and surprises.   Reading the Bible scriptures associated with each Jesse Tree ornament each day of Advent is a great way to understand the backstory of Christmas, irregardless of what you believe.

I've learned that Advent's intention is to celebrate the birth of Christ as well as a prepare for his return.  The Jesse Tree does the former but not the latter.   As someone who does believe in Christ,  I've learned that Advent is an opportunity to draw closer in relationship to Him.   Reading the scripture associated with the Jesse Tree is one way to do that.   The Youtube videos "The Greatest Gift" by Ann Voskamp have been a blessing to me over the years as a way of reflecting on the meaning of Christmas during Advent as well.




Comments

Popular Posts